Friday, March 4, 2011

Return of the westerly winds





Pray to the wind gods. If Poseidon was the god of marine weather, Boreas was the god of the north wind and Zephyrous the West in Greek mythology lets all pray to Zephyrous to bring back those warm westerlies.






Last month we thought we were wave sailing down the line legends.We rode so many cross off days we started to get picky with the conditions.This week, I fell off my board.






I guess you can say that this week has brought us back to reality. We have been spoiled too long with logo high waves and westerly warm winds. This week has seen a blow to our egos and taken a hit by good old mother nature right between the eyes with nasty cold Northerlies. Basically the temperature cut off point as been reached over the last few days. This means I'm not getting on the water as long as the air temp is 7 deg's and below. Day time temp's are hovering around the cut off point, that combined with the wind chill is enough to keep me on dry land. It's not to bad for a 30/40 minute session but windsurfing with cold hands and feet is no fun, then de-rigging is hard as your hands stop working we all have experience that excruciating pain in your fingers as the circulation comes rushing back into your veins.





I refuse to sail in palmless mitts. Most of us are skeptical about sailing in gloves as we all have felt the cramps in the forearm induced by wearing gloves. Mind you I have no excuses to go in. I've always been an O'Neill man but I thought it was time to try something new "ION WETSUITS". I have just bought a new Ion Onyx semi dry 5,5 double lined suit, that should keep me warm through this cold snap. I thoroughly recommend you check them out....



www.ion-essentials.com

No comments:

Post a Comment