Friday, April 1, 2011

Double Session... Wind? Really?


It's been flat. Dead flat. No wind what so ever in the last month. I'd like to be optimistic about the up and coming forecast, but there's nothing in it to give me the buzz I'm looking for. Spider's have built spider webs all over my kit and a mouse has made a nest in my board bag due to it being so dead. It's been toooooo long waaaaaay to long. Honestly, I think I can go without sex longer than I can go without wavesailing. Only kidding..... get your minds out the gutter. But over the last few days a stirring in the trees as the wind returns to the west coast. Everybody is pretty stoked to get back out on the boards and get their mojo pumping. I've been spending the last few days surfing and recovering from a stinking sore throat that just refuses to go. So it was kill or cure as it was time to dust off the cobwebs and hit the beach.

Day 1..... Not a lot to report. It seems as if the wicked witch of the west is here. As I headed out to work this morning I took a drive by past the beach to check out the conditions at 6.45am (yes that's 6.45am) and some of the boys were already in and sailing.(Now that's what you call keen). By the time I finished work the wind had dropped a few knots and was up and down like a yo yo. The mind is funny I did see a few nice peelers out there, and I've been in worse, but the breeze really wasn't doing it for me. Encouraged by the waves, I headed out with Simon, who was on his second session of the day and dropped in on a few nice lumps that were coming in on the reef. Called it a night as the wind dropped further and ended up heading home to do some couch surfing and started writing this post.

Day 2..... Part one. Now that's more like it. ................. Mojo back.

Lets rock. Pick up truck all loaded and ready to rock and roll from last nights antics . Cross off with a nice little swell pushing in. By the time I hit the beach a few of the Vazon crew had already hit the water and ripping down the line, which took the guess work out of which sail to rig. Tide was still pretty low and on the push, looking pretty windy and full power on the face with the usual drift out. A rigging frenzy followed, kit flying in all directions and managed to rig in 10 seconds flat. A frenzy of fun was on its way as I was about to hit the water, but not so, for poor old Matt (El Presidente) who was walking up the beach in pieces, splinters of carbon and a totally trashed sail trailing behind him. A nasty encounter with the shore break saw the end of that rig. Hitting the water it soon became clear that it was way off shore and making the waves hard to catch. It was great dropping in on the set waves with the spray firing of the tops causing a great rainbows in the blue skies. Plenty of action going on with some nice lay down bottom turns to full on forwards off the lip. Had a good hour or two of down the line then called it a day as the tide became to high.

Long board session.....part two. Time to swap the wave board for my long board and hit the water again for part two of Fridays fun. I've been dry for too long. The tide had pushed in, the swell had picked up and the wind had eased making T'others the spot of choice. Headed out to the line up on my 9'2" for a really fun afternoon of logging and trying to hang five. Felt great to get out on the long board again. OH.... YEAH, two surf/sail days in a row, soon forgot about the crazy day at work...

No comments:

Post a Comment