Friday, November 11, 2011

Down but not out

Leg Surgery - No surfing/windsurfing for the last 6 weeks!!  Back in September, I had surgery done on both my legs.  All I remember was the bright light over me in theatre, then the next time I opened my eyes, I was in the Recovery room bandaged up from the waste down and feeling rather beaten up. That Propofol stuff really works good.....
The long wait is over folks...
Winds have finally come around from the SSE to the North, so it was time to head North bound to ease myself back into sailing after such a long time out.
Pembroke mid tide

Saturday saw lighter winds, with whitecaps on the water, Sundays forecast was for Beaufort 6.
Thinking it would be a good idea to break my legs in on flat water before getting stuck into some waves I decided to take a trip down Grand Harve and scrounge a go on some slalom kit. Spotted Stewie M rigging his Ram F11 on his 85 Jp and cadged a sail.   Riding a borrowed board and with zero practice I had a few runs where I was planing and a bunch of time just underpowered with a 7.0 sail.  I also did not nail my jibes.....My frustration lasted for about fifteen minutes before I said "Screw it, legs, fore arm cramps and general fitness levels stopped play....... 
Rigging frenzy

 I woke up this morning amped Solid breeze forecast today! (Sunday)
Loaded the new pickup with the 85 freewave thinking that the wind had buggered off, I headed down to Pembroke after receiving a txt from Matt (Hitting the beach at 9.30).   I expected to be the only one on the beach but a couple of kite surfers were there already, so was Hutchy, already planing on 5.2/83 litre.  A few minutes later, Jas pulled in, Matt, Starky and the whole crew frantically rigging for what awaited them over the sea wall.  It was pretty much going off: 25-30 knots from the NNE with decently large chop coming through.  It's frickin' windy.  Not exactly freewave conditions.  Wrong board Nooooooooooooooo.....  That 10 minute drive back home was the longest drive ever. 80 litre 5.3 rigged ready for action by 10.10am
 I was on the water by 10.15am and my legs gave out by 12.30pm.
I don't know where the winds came from today (well - yes I do - frontal system passage)
 Anyway, cut a long story short, sailed port tack/starboard tack not sure which as the wind was so onshore.  A totally fun spot. The reach across the bay can't be more than 1/4 mile , so its a bit tough to find ramps coming into the bay on such onshore conditions. With the poverty stricken conditions we've had all summer, we've all been busting at the seams to jump on any flurry of wind that comes our way.  I am no different, and I reckon I am one of the ones experiencing the most seizures and convulsions from the disappearance of mother nature from my time out sailing so it was nice to get back into the harness and catch up with guys after such a long drought.

New l200 Warrior 

No comments:

Post a Comment