Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Wipeout In the Zone

First surf of 2012 the end is nigh

This time last year, 2 inches of snow lay on the ground so it seems a bit strange for deep low pressure, storm systems to be rattling across the Channel Islands. It feels like winter has arrived with a vengeance and it looks likely to continue for a few days yet.  I was hoping the wind would fill in enough to get out for a windsurf, the direction was good and the waves and swell were plenty big enough for the potential of a bit of port tack jumping.  The wind filled in by lunch time and we were out on the water by 12.

Another day, more wind, more waves, so another day on the water. This is the good life. Ok, today didn't quite turn out the way I would of liked it....

The wipe outs I hate are the ones where the wave is breaking say 4 metres in front of you and it's ready to come down on your head, as it did in this case.

Standing on an outer reef up to my waist after being held down by the white monster until the panic button was pressed the waves were breaking 8-10 foot high above my head, boards a 100 yards inshore in pieces, there was no chance of me getting out in one piece. Forty five minute swim caught in the rip and be sucked into T'others and the reef was no fun... Thanks Nick for coming to the rescue and giving a hand to pull the remaining pieces of broken carbon and X-ply back to the beach....  Kids, don't play chicken with humongous sucking reef breaks and shallow granite reefs. The chances are the rocks will win every time. Whatever you do, don't let a good wipe out get to you. It's not worth it to get all mad over. Whenever I go through a bad fall, when I come up from it.... I usually try to imagine what that would have looked like, if I had been watching it from the beach. It usually makes me laugh at it and then I have a nice smile as I limp back to shore.
Gnarly suck up's claims another victim





While the old proverb states, “He who hesitates is lost,” in this case, the saying should be tweaked to say, “He who hesitates gets pile driven into the reef.”










Just had a txt from one of the boys while writing this post...
Hope you are ok dude just think it's only kit!
Get some more no problem.
Your ok that's the main thing!
But most important your ripping the place apart this winter so good
f*****g times dude.....
Big respect.

Cheers Si......

No comments:

Post a Comment